Friday, 22 April 2011

Follow Friday: Mississippi, Memorials and the Power of Zen

This week I managed to make someone laugh - OK, I do that all the time, but this time I meant to do it.  Tess from Patching My Family Together read my post about my Grandma (Sentimental Sunday - Happy Birthday Grandma), it struck a chord and she left me a comment.  I dropped by her blog for the first time and was delighted to see that she has a Mississippi connection - why would that delight a Bristol girl living in Cornwall?  Well, my family emigrated to the USA when I was 16 and I went to Slidell High School in Louisiana for a couple of years.  Although I moved back to Blighty my parents remained and my father now lives in Mississippi. 

One thing I really like about Tess's blog is her title - I like to think of my family history as a quilt to be stitched together rather than a piece of rope with a far off end that I need to locate.  You can find Tess's blog (with a rather splendid Wordless Wednesday post) at http://www.patchingmyfamilykin.wordpress.com/.

One of the first blogs I decided to follow was Helen Vail's.  I have mentioned Helen before; I just can't praise her enough!  Her mission is to document 100 New Zealand WW1 memorials for the centenary of the outbreak of the Great War - huge task.  It was also Helen's blog that sparked the idea for my new blog 89 WW1 Heroes (http://www.89ww1heroes.blogspot.com/)  in which I am researching the men listed on my local war memorial here in Newquay.  Helen's blog is http://www.100nzmemorials.blogspot.com/.

Finally, I find myself increasingly busy as I am sure most people are these days.  I need a sense of calm in my life and am finding it inspiring to read Leo Babauta's blog at http://www.zenhabits.net/ with its tag line "smile, breathe and go slowly"  Sounds perfect.  If I could just get the dog to read it....

4 comments:

patchingmyfamilykin said...

Blimey!!! We have more in common than you realize, so I grabbed your rope and tied a knot in the end of it where you would have something to hang on to when you do find it!! LOL Not only do we have connections where Mississippi is concerned but I also have ancestors from England and Ireland. And the final kicker? I also went to school(don't ask how long ago 5th and 6th grade was LOL ) for a couple of years in a small town called Center Point (not too far from Alexander), Louisiana, even tho' I have made my home in Alabama. Glad you enjoyed my blog as much as I do yours!!

The Treehouse said...

Well, it certainly is a small world Tess!

Rosemary said...

How about smaller? As an Aussie living in Oklahoma I have BEEN to Slidell!! No-one Cornish in my family, my family is from East Anglia and Staffs.

The Treehouse said...

Let's hope our paths actually cross at the same time sometime in the future :)

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com